2022 Land Preservation Parks and Recreation Plan (LPPRP)
Some of our most important assets in Prince George’s County are our parks, open space, and recreational facilities. -M-NCPPC, Department of Parks and Recreation in Prince George’s County has an inventory of more than 28,000 acres of parkland, which encompass an array of facilities and amenities to meet the active and passive recreational needs of County residents and visitors.
The Land Preservation Park and Recreation Plans (LPPRP) are comprehensive planning documents used by Counties throughout the State and the City of Baltimore to convey data related to the evaluation of parks, recreation, and land preservation. LPPRP for the Department of Parks and Recreation in Prince George’s County is being finalized. Provided below is the Draft LPPRP that includes several key findings and recommendations. In addition, we are providing the Executive Summary from the Needs Assessment Survey, which will be used to establish priorities for the development of parks and recreation facilities, programs, and services.
The Land Preservation Parks and Recreation Plan (LPPRP) provides goals, objectives, and policy guidelines for the delivery of parkland, open space, and recreation opportunities in Prince George’s County. The LPPRP specifies standards to help identify the need for parkland and recreation facilities in an ongoing effort to provide equitable opportunity and benefit to county patrons.
The Department of Recreation and Parks is in the process of developing its 2022 Land Preservation Parks and Recreation Plan which serves the following purposes:
- Guides policies and actions throughout Prince George’s County to ensure that the recreational needs of County residents and visitors will be met in ways that are efficient and cost-effective.
- Emphasizes the need for preserving and protecting valuable natural, agricultural, cultural, and historical resources in Prince George’s County.
- Contributes to the preparation of state plans, policies, and programs for land preservation and recreation.
- Helps ensure that local actions in Prince George’s County related to land preservation and recreation are an integral part of the state and local growth management strategy.
- Qualifies Prince George’s County for State Program Open Space grants pursuant to Title 5, Subtitle 9 of the Natural Resources Article of the Annotated Code of Maryland to assist local governments with acquiring and developing parks, recreation, open space, and resource lands.
|Fall 2021||Public Outreach - Parks Survey|
|Fall 2021||Public Outreach - Town Hall Meetings|
|Spring & Fall 2021||Plan Development|
|Winter 2021||Draft Plan to Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR)|
|Spring 2022||Notify Planning Board of LPPRP and Submittal to DNR|
|July 1, 2022||Submit Plan to Maryland Department of Natural Resources|
View the previous version: 2017 Land Preservation Parks and Recreation Plan (PDF).