The Environmental Planning Section is responsible for programs related to the protection of the natural environment through the review of applications in the land development process. The section evaluates the impacts of land use plans and development proposals on woodlands, wildlife habitat, green infrastructure, streams, floodplains, wetlands, unsafe soils, noise, and rare, threatened and endangered species' habitats. Staff also identify appropriate measures to mitigate proposed impacts. The Countywide Resource Conservation Functional Master Plan (the "Resource Conservation Plan" or "RCP") is one of the section's recently completed plans.
Bulletin 3-2018 Environmental-Planning
Geographic information systems, computer modeling, and other innovative environmental methodologies are used to collect and analyze the data needed to respond in a systematic way to environmental issues. Comprehensive evaluations on a watershed basis are emphasized. The section prepares environmental impact reports for sand and gravel mining applications and coordinates the Planning Department's responsibilities related to woodland conservation and the Chesapeake Bay Critical Area. The section represents Prince George's County on the Patuxent River Commission, a tributary strategy team to restore the Chesapeake Bay.
Questions or Concerns
For questions or concerns, please fill out and submit the Contact Form.
Electronic Application Submission Processes
Effective June 1, 2016, all environmental applications shall be submitted electronically to Environmental Planning Section (EPS).
Electronic Applications (Shortcuts)
- Woodland Conservation Ordinance Exemption (WCO-Ex) Application - June 2019 (PDF)
- Natural Resources Inventory Equivalency Letter (NRI-EL) Application - June 2019 (PDF)
- Natural Resource Inventory Plan (NRI) Application (PDF)
- Type 2 Tree Conservation Plan (TCP2) Application (PDF)
- Subtitle 25 Division 2 Variance Application (PDF)
Procedures for the Submission of Electronic Applications
- Procedures for Electronic Submission of Natural Resource Inventories (NRIs) (PDF)
- Procedures for Electronic Submission of NRI Equivalency Letters (NRI-ELs) (PDF)
- Procedures for Electronic Submission of Tree Conservation Plans (TCPs) (PDF)
- Procedures for Electronic Submission of Woodland Conservation Exemption (WCO-Ex) (PDF)